Monday, September 21, 2009

Spoiler Alert

Have you ever read a book that is so real and then something happens that is so cataclysmic that your breath is taken away? This happened to me recently with a series of books I had been reading. The series was written by Joel Rosenberg. It starts out with The Last Jihad. Each of the books has some major event that makes the book a page turner from chapter 1. However, in the last book Dead Heat, the United States of America is hit by terrorists in what can only be described as devastating. Five major cities are hit with nuclear bombs that are launched off of freighter ships. These cities are Washington, LA, NY, Langley, and Seattle. The LA bomb takes out the current sitting president and most of his party leadership and the NY & Washington bombs take care of the other one, effectively crippling our government. At this point, I had to put the book down. I had tears in my eyes and a pit in my stomach. I could almost feel the fear and panic that would no doubt ensue after such an event. People trying to find out about loved ones. Injured people lying in the affected areas with no hope for salvation and dying after suffering for a long time. I looked at my husband and said that this author just made my heart stop. That is the key to a good writer. Can he/she affect you and make you think? Rosenberg did that! He has such a way with putting words onto paper that you think that this could actually be real. Not forgetting that this is the same man who wrote about a 9/11 style attack on the US- 6 months before it happened! That book was slated to come out on 9/11/2001and was obviously pushed it back. Several things he has written in his books since then have also come to pass. I don't think that he is a prophet but I do think he analyzes things very well and can see what might come. Thanks, Joel, for keeping me up at night in a way that every horror film has ever tried to do but has failed! I enjoyed that thrill ride! Punch my ticket, I am ready for more!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...