Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Best Cake I Have Ever Made and Eaten

My hubby turns 29 for the 11th time  today!  For the 1st time in our married life, he didn't want a pistachio cake.  I asked him what kind and he said a Reese's Peanut Butter cup cake.  I wanted to oblige for this BIG birthday.  So I researched recipes and found one on Java Cupcake.  I was afraid but it turned out great!  Here is a picture of the finished product.



 You can find the original recipe of the linked website above.  Here is my version:
A boxed cake mix.  She made hers from scratch.  I did this for time and for my sanity.  I used Duncan Hines fudge marble cake mix and made 2 rounds.  I let them cool.  While they were cooling, I made the peanut butter icing:

2 cups of creamy peanut butter
3 cups of sifted powdered sugar
1 stick of softened butter
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla
3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp of salt

Java's recipe said to cream the butter and peanut butter.  I did that according to directions but after that I just did my own thing.  I added the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.  This made things very dough like.  I, then, added vanilla, cream and salt with my fingers crossed that it would turn out correctly.  It did!  It was creamy and spreadable and oh my word!  Yummy! 

I spread some on the top of the 1st layer of cake and sprinkled chopped Reese's PB Cups on it and then put the top layer on. I would have added more icing looking back in hindsight.  I spread the rest of the cake with the icing.  It was layered very thickly on it and I had some left over.  I put the cake in the fridge covered.  I used the leftover to spread on bananas and then dipped them in chocolate.  Nice little treat for me!

I left the cake in the fridge overnight but according to Java, 20 minutes in the freezer will do.  Right before we were going to eat it, I made the ganache. 
2/3 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 Bars of Dove dark chocolate 3.5 oz each.

I broke the chocolate into small chunks and brought the cream just to a boil on the stove.  I poured the cream over the chocolate until it made a rich ganache.  I poured it over the cake and let it drip down the side.  I sprinkled more PB cups on top and added some around the edge for decoration.  I put it once again in the fridge to harden while we had a bday lunch.  After lunch, we sang and then cut into that sucker!  My husband said that pistachio cake is out and this is in!  Thanks, Java Cupcake for the idea!  It tasted just like a Reese's PB cup!  Get a glass of milk because it is so rich!  Enjoy!









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...