Monday, December 14, 2009

Joy

Joy to the World, the Lord is come! The theme for this week's advent is joy. I have so much joy in my life. That is not to say that my life is easy nor has it ever been. But, the one thing that I have learned in recent years that joy can be found in any situation. When I was lying in the hospital waiting to learn my fate, away from my children during Christmas, I learned to find joy in little things. Having great nurses or a visitor bringing me a cup of coffee or the carolers who sang to me on Christmas all brought me joy. When I saw my baby on the ultrasound or felt him move, joy surged through my heart. One of the things I learned during this time is that if we wait on circumstances to bring us joy, then we will be waiting forever. Life is hard and when you become a Christian, it doesn't get any easier. We must seek out each day where we can find joy. I was not happy staying in the hospital for 81 days knowing that I might live or I might die but I found joy in knowing that God does not waste one single instance in our lives. I now take joy in visiting others in the hospital when they are unsure of what is coming next. God took my bed rest and is using it to help other women. Joy, joy, joy!!!!
Mary, in her Magnificat(Luke), finds joy in her impossible situation. Here she is, young, unmarried but engaged, a virgin, poor, uneducated and pregnant. This may seem overwhelmig(can you imagine having to tell your parents the news?) yet Mary was able to pen the words in Luke 1:
46And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.


That is finding joy in a seemingly impossible set of circumstances. Mary knew that her strength didn't come from her but from the God who created the universe. She rejoices in knowing that she is called favored by Him. After waiting for over 400 years, God has finally spoken to Israel in a most unlikely way, through a woman and a baby! Praise God! May you find joy this season!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...