Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lipservice


I am so disappointed by the numbers of churches who just give lip service to the whole right to life issue. As Christians, we are supposed to speak for those who can't speak for themselves. Those who are in the womb who can't tell you that they would choose to live. We are supposed to speak for them. The Bible is very clear. One Sunday every year prior to the anniversary of Roe vs Wade, the Southern Baptist convention designates it as the Sanctity of Life Sunday. It is the 1 day out of 52 Sundays that we focus on why we believe in what we believe. Abortion is wrong, in all situations. How can I make that blanket statement, you ask? Well, I have been on both sides of the issue. I have been the unwed teenage pregnant mom who made a wrong choice and I have been the mother whose life was in danger. I chose incorrectly the first time and correctly the second. The blessings from my correct choice have been innumerable while the curses from my incorrect choice have been devastating.
I spoke at Southside Baptist church in Savannah, Ga and the pastor scheduled the whole day, music, Sunday School lessons, and sermon to coincide with the life issues. I was so glad to be in a church that didn't gloss over the abortion issue because they didn't want to offend anyone or they didn't believe that anyone in their flock had had an abortion. This is the worst holocaust in the history of the world and yet it goes untouched. There are women who are suffering sitting in churches under the weight of their guilt and shame and many cannot find their way out. Praise God that I heard 7 years ago today that there is hope and there is freedom after such a devastating decision. I heard it from the pulpit. It wasn't statistics or condemnation but the love of God and His redemption that saved me and my marriage.
But here are some statistics, over 50 million babies have been aborted since 1973. 1 out of every 3 women have had an abortion and 1 out of every 6 Christian women have had an abortion. Every 20 seconds an abortion is performed and that makes about 4000+ per day. For every 1000 live teen births, 730 babies are aborted. Over 60% of Christians believe that abortion is ok in some circumstances ie the life of the mother or rape. Less than 1% of all abortions are for either of those purposes.
Let's not just give lip service to what we believe. We should have the courage of our convictions. As BHO takes office, he is promising to pass the Freedom of Choice act and he would like to legalize late term abortions. We cannot afford to be silent anymore as we watch babies being murdered because they are an inconvenience or not in someone's life plan. If we don't speak out, then who will? First they came for the homosexuals, I said nothing. Then they came for the downtrodden, I said nothing. Then they came for the Jews, I said nothing. Then they came for me and there was no one left to say anything.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...