Thursday, November 20, 2008

Can it be?

If you can believe it, one year has passed since my waters broke and I was admitted to the hospital. 365 days aren't as long as they used to be. You know, when you were in school and summer vacation would never arrive? Last year, Thanksgiving was this week and my Sunday school had brought over dinner for us. I went to the bathroom before bed and noticed that something wasn't "right." I just couldn't put my finger on it. There were already so many things wrong with my pregnancy, so nothing was quite "right." I went to bed and the next day, the same thing was still happening. I, honestly, thought that I was just losing control of my bladder and so I ignored it until Saturday. I prayed to God that if my waters had indeed broken that He would provide an unmistakable sign. I went to the bathroom a short time later and GUSH! No more sign needed. I called my doctor, reluctantly, because I didn't want to mess us his Thanksgiving weekend and be an inconvenience at midnight. He told me immediately to come to Mission. We had no one to watch the kids, so Michael stayed home with them and I drove myself. I remember the few flakes of snow that fell. I would have enjoyed them more, if I had known that they'd would be the only snow that I would see that winter. By God's grace, there was a parking spot directly in front of the ER. I stood in the ER for about 15 minutes with fluid running down my legs and I finally had to tell the lady that I would walk myself and that I was going to have the baby right then. Since, I was not yet showing much, she looked at me like I was insane and put me on the special elevator that required a code and sent me on up. Meanwhile, Dr. C had been looking for me. He did some tests and an ultrasound. The test confirmed the presence of amniotic fluid and the u/s showed only about 2 cm left inside my womb. Normal is between 9-11 cm. I was shocked!! I wasn't supposed to have a preemie! I already had so many other conditions that this one couldn't be! Dr. C said that since I was 23 weeks along, the baby had virtually no chance of survival if he was born then. They would try to keep him in for 2 more weeks but even then, he would struggle. Devastation! I just sat in stunned shock. The doctor, then, stopped and prayed over me and the baby and they wheeled me up to what was to become my home for the next several months. We had no idea what was in store. We just knew that the same God who created the heavens and the earth would walk us through this. And He did!! There were so many miracles that this blog would scarce contain them and many more that I probably didn't even know. I feel privileged to have had gone through this and that God chose us to go down this path. This pregnancy has affected so many people, many of whom I don't know. Most of all, it changed the way that I saw God. He is in so many of the details of our lives, even the smallest ones! So, this Thanksgiving my blessings are too many to count! I just say thank You, thank You, thank You!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...