Thursday, April 25, 2013

What Not to Do....

.....when sending your kids to public school. I know, I know. If you read my post from yesterday, then you know I home school my kids. Why, then, do I have a qualifications to talk about public schools? Well, I went to PS for 13 years and I taught high school for 3 years. I have been on both sides of the desk. I have some things to say about it.

1) Don't assume that the teachers can do it all.
         They can only do so much. A TON of teaching goes on at home, bad or good! Don't let the students slack off at home!

2) Don't put your kids on the bus and let that be it!
         Get involved!  Help out!  Be teacher's helper or serve on PTO.

3) Don't skip school board meetings.
         Policy is made, curriculum chosen, and other important decisions are made there!

4) Don't assume that your kid didn't do it!
         Sometimes, they did do it! Most times, they did it! I had a student dislocate my pinky finger and yet when his dad came in and my finger was hanging there, he said that his son couldn't possibly have done it. Ummm, yep, he did! The next week, he put his step mom in ICU. Really?

5) Don't let your kids be the only one to choose their friends?
         Now, don't get your knickers in a twist! The human brain doesn't fully develop until sometime between 23 & 26. Meet them, interview them, get to know them. Have them over for a meal! Meet their family. One of our jobs as parents is to help our kids and guide them to make wise decisions. Are their values the same as yours? Do they believe like you do? When your beliefs don't line up, who will bring the other closer to theirs? Think about it!

Some "don't"s. Next week, I will publish some "do"s.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...