Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Simplify Your Life...Fat Chance

I have seen many blogs written on simplifying life.  AHHHHHHHHH....  Doesn't that sound great?  I can see myself sitting back, reading a novel, sipping a cuppa Joe.  Who doesn't want that?  But let's face it, actually making that happen is next to impossible.  Honestly, I would just like a 15 minute shower without someone looking for me or flushing the toilet that ends up scalding or freezing me to death. 

6 people and 1 dog in 1 house does not naturally make for simple.  The  sheer amount of things that come with that many people can overwhelm even the most seasoned organizers.  I am not a seasoned organizer.  This is my dining room table, right now. 


I promise that there is a table under there.  Did you notice the Christmas decorations?  Before you judge me too harshly, we eat at our breakfast bar, even for lunch and supper.  How did I let it get like this?  Well, our storage room downstairs needed some cleaning and when we were done, I was too tired to even think about transferring all this down there.  I just wanted to sit down for a few minutes and rest and watch something on the DVR(it is over 80% full . Even that is complicated).  Then, a few hours got away, a few days and finally, a few weeks.  Time just gets away too quickly.  And before I knew it, Easter was just 10 days away.  Santa can be an Easter decoration, right?

I have been doing some things to make life a little more simple.  I am asking my kids to do more.  I am giving myself a break.  I home school 3 kids plus parent the 4th(he will be K5 soon).  I work 4 nights per week.  My family volunteers every other Thursday at the soup kitchen.  I teach a WWII class on Fridays at enrichment classes for the home school association.  I co-lead a class for women who have had an abortion and desire God's healing and we are currently planning a weekend retreat.  So, sometimes, I just need to leave the dust rhinos and sit on the couch and veg.

Are you trying to simplify your life?  How's that working out for you?  I think that we can get so wrapped up in trying to get rid of stuff and organizing that we stress out more about that stuff.  If we don't get rid the number of bags required that week, then we feel guilty or like a failure and we give up.  We end up just feeling bad about things!  Give yourself a break!  Ask your kids to do more!  They can do it!  It might not look like what you think it should but it will be done.

Don't compare yourself with others!  This can do so much damage!  Our family doesn't look like theirs.  My house is not as clean.  They seem to have it all together.  They don't!!!!!  They just put on a better front.  You can work on the front or you can work on the core.  I once showed up at MOPS in my PJ pants and spit up stained shirt and put my head down on the table and cried.  My 1st time there!  So many moms came up to me and said that they felt the same way.  They just didn't feel comfortable sharing with others!  Why do we do that to others and to ourselves?  I was completely overwhelmed with these little creatures that clung to my legs and breasts calling me mom!  In my vulnerability, I was able to encourage someone else.

What am I saying?
       * Let your kids do more even if "it" isn't right(up to your standards)
       * Give yourself a break.  Put on some music and dance through the dust.  That will relieve some stress
       * No more comparisons to others.  Have a meltdown from time to time.  Why do you think kids do it?  You just feel better! 

Tomorrow, I will show you some simple steps that help.  No pressure!  Do what you can for your individual needs!  Many blessings to you on this 1st day of Spring!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...