Monday, July 23, 2012

My Thoughts!

Not sure if anyone out there cares about what I think but I am gonna tell you anyway!  I have some very strong feelings on this Penn St debacle.  A little history...I was abused when I was a baby and toddler.  I have no tolerance for those who seek to harm those who are defenseless.  I, also, have no patience for those who allow the abuse to continue to save their own skins or reputations.  The damage done to the victims is not the type that ever goes away.  These things stick with you forever.    I am a living testimony to that.  Check this site for more info on abuse and its lasting effects.  Some of the listed effects are anxiety(check), fear(check), shame(check), feelings of inadequacy(yep), need to control(sure 'nough), think of yourself as victim(uh-huh), and identification with the aggressor(nope).
I live with these images and more!  They shape who you are and can define who you become. 

This situation with PSU, Paterno, and Sandusky is beyond horrible!  So many victims harmed by this serial rapist/abuser will live with this until the day they die!  And so many people covered up the abuse to protect the school and their own skins.  What to do?  Sandusky has been convicted.  Paterno has died(BTW, I think this killed him or at least expedited his death).  The university has been sanctioned by the NCAA.  Is all of this enough?  Is it too much?  I have heard arguments to both.  Some say that this is not harsh enough.  Some say that this will punish the current players who had nothing to do with the crimes.

What do I say?  I say punish the school until the football program cannot survive!  If Penn State had stood up for those who tried to stand up for themselves instead of sweeping it under the rug for the almighty $$$$ that football brings into that school, then they would have looked like heroes.  If there are players currently on scholarship, bend the rules so that they can transfer to another school with no playing/scholarship penalties.  That will solve the problem!  If there are students who are studying there but don't want a degree from the college, let another school come along and take them in!  If the solution were up to me, these punishments would have been much more severe than they are!  I would have shut the program down until further notice!  Lives were ruined...totally destroyed!!!!!  Never to be the same again!  I say the school should feel that same pain!  I am not talking personal judgement of the individuals.  They must answer to God for what they did to the least of these.  I would rather not stand in their shoes in front of the God who loves children and wants them protected.  He forgives, if asked, but there are consequences to our actions.  Sandusky is feeling his.  Paterno may be feeling his.   I am talking about corporate punishment!  The actions of a group of people or non-action in this case should have dire consequences.  For example, if a group of people tried to overthrow the govt and failed, they would be severely punished for their collective action.  Is this really any different?  Not in my humble opinion!

As for me and my my situation, God rescued me and saved me!  He allowed me through His grace to forgive my abuser and the people who wouldn't believe me.  My abuser has never admitted to his crimes and by the time I let the suppressed memories come out, there was a statute of limitations expiration.  That is not the case today, thank the good Lord!  God has restored that part of me that was stolen and has repaired my feelings towards father figures.  He has made me strong through my weakness.  My prayer for these victims, is that they come to know the only One who can heal them.  He wants to wrap you in His arms and comfort you!  He was there when it was happening to you and He is there now!  He may erase the memories or not.  He may have a purpose for those memories.    Read Isaiah 61  but I am quoting some of the verses that speak to me!

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor. 


They will rebuild the ancient ruins
    and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
    that have been devastated for generations.

Instead of your shame
    you will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
    you will rejoice in your inheritance.
And so you will inherit a double portion in your land,
    and everlasting joy will be yours.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...