Friday, September 2, 2011

Salsa Saturday

Salsa...mmmmm!  I have been asked to post my recipe so here it is!  Beware! I don't measure!

Start with tomatoes!  I have tons from the garden!  Nice ripe Better Boys

Wash them, remove stem and core. Cut into fourths.

Large bowl, knife, cutting board, Vidalia Chop Wizard(my secret weapon)

2 sizes of grids for 2 sizes of veggies.  I use the bigger 1 for the tomatoes and the smaller 1 for the bell pepper and Vidalia onion.  Put the quartered tomotoes inside the wizard and press shut.  It does everything for you!

This is what you get!  Clearly, I underestimated the amount of tomatoes that I had.  I had to get another bowl.

Remove the stem and seeds from 2 large sweet bell peppers.  Peel 2 medium onions and cut these smaller than the tomatoes.  They are more difficult to push through when they are larger.

Tomatoes...meet onions!

I make my hubby chop the jalapeno cause I don't do spicy.

Fresh cilantro coarsely chopped

The juice from 2 limes, salt to taste.  Mix all the veggies, juice and cilantro together.  It is yummy now but wait until tomorrow.  It will can or freeze.  I make 2 batches...1 spicy 1 not.  This made a total of 200 oz.  That equals 20 jars of Tostitos jarred salsa from the store.  I paid a total of $5 for all the ingredients.  You do the math.  Let me know if you try it and what you think.  This is obviously chunky but I have put some of the tomatoes in the food processer and added the juice to it and it was just as good. Happy eating!  Ole! 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...