Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Isaiah 55


There is a new purse store here in town and I have been avoiding it like the plague. I love purses, handbags, wallets, pocketbooks whatever you call them. They are a desire of mine that I don't often get to partake in. I am not going in there because I know that I'll spend too much money. I do drive by and gaze in the window and dream. Next to shoes, I love purses!!!!! After reading Isaiah 55, I began to think about my love of purses. This passage talks about coming to the Lord for all the He can supply. But, one verse caught my attention: verse 2
Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
Why do we spend money and time on things that aren't the Real thing? I liken it to buying a purse that looks like a Coach but when you really look at the label it says Couch. After a few months, it falls apart and maybe the pleather fades. Why did I purchase something that is not the brand name when I could have gotten the actual for free? I do that all the time!!! I spend my time on things that don't bring me closer to God or reflect glory on Him. I give my energy to things that just seek to drain it and fade and break down with time. But, God is free!! His salvation is free!! There is no substitute! We try to be good but we can't be God. The things of the world and even ourselves are fakes in comparison. I want to seek to delight in the richest of fare. I want to spend all my resources on the one thing that will not fade or wear thin or become outdated. Help me, God, not to accept any substitutes!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...