Monday, October 27, 2008

Mouth troubles

Recently, we have been studying the book of James, that would be from the Bible and not Oprah's book club. In it, we discussed how the tongue can set a fire that is hard to put out. Even if you are reading this and not a Christian, you can appreciate the fact that our mouths get us in a lot of trouble. I know whereof I speak. I am queen of it. I think that the more you speak, the more opportunities you have to screw up. As a society, we love seeing people make fools of themselves with their mouths. The politicians are constantly raked over the coals for their gaffes. David Letterman runs a special on presidential misspeaks. George Bush, bless his heart, is a pro at saying the wrong thing. He is, always, mispronouncing a word or misusing a phrase. Joe Biden has been opening his mouth and making missteps in his words(we just don't hear about it as much). There is a proverb that states better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. That is one that I need to observe.
When I was little, I was abused. As I grew older, the anger in me grew, as well. Instead of waiting for the proper time to confront the person who let it happen(not the abuser), I would attack her at major holidays. All that accomplished was getting everyone upset and ruining Christmas. I am not saying that she didn't deserve to be confronted but not at family disfunctions. My tongue, expressing my problems, started a fire that was hard to put out. Not a healthy way of dealing with things.
I have a special 1 year anniversary of my ordeal coming up on Thursday, so don't miss it!
My heart and my prayers go out to the Musselwhite family whose wife and mother went on to be with God after dealing with breast cancer that spread to her brain. Bonnie was a true testiment to Christian love and support. May the Lord be with them during this difficult time. She left behind a husband and 4 kids. What a legacy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...