Monday, August 25, 2008

Patriotism


Well, the Olympics are over and my family has really enjoyed them. It was hard to like them because they were being held in China. China is not 1 of our favorite places. They are killing their people in rice paddies and aborting millions of babies for "population control". They are putting lead in our kids' toys and buying up all our loans in our banks. Maybe, I feel like people did when we were competing against the Soviet Union. However, we watched and jumped up and down when Michael Phelps pulled off his amazing feat. Isabela wanted to know if he was superman. We said absolutely! My daughters enjoyed watching Nastia and Shawn in the gymnastics. They pretended to be each of them and got excited when they won a medal. I was reminded of my friend Nancy and I pretending to be Mary Lou Retton when she pulled off her amazing 10s. I even teared up remembering us "walking the beam". Our family stood and paid homage to our flag and country when the National Anthem played(I always get choked up when that song plays). I am so proud to be an American! I am blessed to live in the best country in the world. My heart swells with pride and love for the good ole USA. It was this pride that had us coming back to the games time and again, even though we do not like China. We couldn't let our guys and girls down! As if our yelling and jumping would help them at all. Most of the time we were on a tape delay watching the events! I was amazed that NBC had the power to designate when the events were held so that America could watch it live(was anyone else jumping up and down in the middle of their bed cheering on Jason Lezak in the men's 4x100 relay?). I loved hearing the men where I work commenting on the women's gymnastics events as they sat at the bar watching them. Only the Olympics can do that. You would never see these same guys watching a competition between colleges and doing the same thing. So to our Olympians(most will never read this), we salute you and your dedication to your sport. May you realize from whom your talents come and may you continue to thrill us in years to come! Can't wait for Vancouver!
On a side note, my friend Nancy, whom I mentioned earlier, turned 30-something on Saturday. We have been friends for nearly 30 years. She is my oldest friend and we have so many memories together. Have a great year! I love you bunches!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...