Wednesday, April 10, 2013

She Blinded Me With......

Many of you will have sung "science" in your best Thomas Dolby voice but the fill in the blank is........white thighs!  Yes, Ma'am!  Spring is sprung!  The weather is warmer.  Trees are blooming.  Flowers are poking their heads out of the ground.  My husband no longer looks like a candidate for Duck Dynasty.  His no shave November turned into no shave March. 

But, I digress.  I went for a run in my running shorts today!  I apologize to the neighbors for the absence of color that is my thigh times 2!  I could see drivers shielding their eyes!  The whiteness that emerges from a long winter covered by jeans and cords and boots is a color not on the color wheel.  It is the absence of all color at all.  And I exposed them to the world yesterday.  There was no gradual ease into it.  There was a just a cold turkey approach to the process.  That is just how I roll! 

1 bit of good news!  Because of the exercises that I have been doing this winter, at least wasn't jiggling as I ran.  Some people have asked what I do so I am going to publish my workout routine.  I do this 3-4 times per week mixed with cardio.  Apparently,I am at the age where talking about bone density is a necessity.  Weight bearing exercises help your bone density.  When did I get so old?  This will help that!

My workout:
Jumping jacks.  Start with 25-50.  I am now up to 100

Traditional squats.  I use dumbbells at 5# each to add to resistance.  Start with feet shoulder width apart. Hold weights by your side.  Stick your behind out and sit down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.  Stand back up.  That is 1.  Start with 15 in a set.

Around the worlds.  I use the aforementioned dumbbells and hold them in front of me by my legs palms facing out.  Circle your arms around until they meet over your head. Return them to starting position. That is 1 set.  Start with 12 in a set.  You can do this lying down but I do it in a standing position.   

Plie squats.  Dumbbells. Feet shoulder width apart toes pointing out.  Lower yourself down until your thighs are parallel to the ground.  Raise up into the starting position.  That is 1 rep.  Begin with 15 in a set.

Push ups.  I alternate these incline and traditional.  Start with as many as you can do.  I could only do 5 when I began.  Now, I do about 25 per set.

Secret squats.  My friend, K, showed me these and boy, howdy do they work.  I call them stripper squats as I don't know what else to call them.  Dumbbells.  Feet shoulder width apart.  Lower yourself into a squat and remain in the static squat and raise yourself up onto your toes.  Lower your heels back to the ground all while remaining in the squat.  I wouldn't do too many of these on your 1st day because the next day you won't be able to walk.  12 reps in a set.
(I will sometimes alternate these with cross over lunges which also work the inner thighs.  Feet together.  Dumbbells. Right foot forward cross it over your left leg and lower into a lunge.)

Go back to jumping jacks and begin again.  3 sets of each in all.  I, now, do 60 squats, plies, and secret squats in each set with 25 around the worlds and 25 push ups.  Not easy but my behind and thighs thank me for it.  Yours will, too!  Leave a comment and let me know if you tried it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...