Thursday, March 3, 2011

What Do I Think?


Everyone has heard of Westboro Baptisti Church. They, frankly, disgust me! That is my opinion but not the opinion on which I write. Yesterday, in an 8-1 decision, the Supreme Court upheld the right of WBC to protest soldiers' funerals saying such vile rhetoric as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers." For the 1st time in my life, I am siding with WBC (and the Supreme Court). The Constitution states this and I quote,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Does that mean for everyone? Yes! Can idiots spout their opinions? Yes! Do we have to listen and give them audience? No! Maybe you are thinking this about me right now and that is fine! We can disagree about this.

This "church" is despicable, vile and should take the words Baptist, Church and God from their protests. They are not Baptist. They are not a church in the Biblical sense. And God is going to say, "Depart from me, I never knew you."(Matthew 7:23) This is another example of a war being waged in God's name without His approval.

That being said...they have a right to say what they say. That is part of living in the USA. The 1st amendment to the Constitution allows us to express our opinions no matter the subject matter. Peter Singer says that we should be able to kill children up until the age of 2. I don't agree with what he says but I agree with the right to say it. People used to call George W. Bush a baby killer and while that borders on libel, they got away with it invoking their 1st Amendment rights.

WBC obeyed all the current laws when protesting. I think that the laws need changed but under the current laws they are allowed to do so. What can be done to hurt them? How about hurting them in their pocketbooks? Stop giving them press and cut off their government funding/tax cuts. We as Christians can stand up to them and tell them to stop. Pray for conviction from God for them so that they see that their sin is harming others. This does not allow the families to grieve in peace nor is it in anyway helpful! These men and women have given everything for our country now allow their families to have peace. And I am protected by my 1st amendment rights!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...