Monday, September 6, 2010


Another Apple Festival has come and gone and I survived another year working right on Main Street with 300,000 people milling about. This is my third and each year I think the work will get easier but each year I just get older and achier(it that a word?). Mezzaluna exceeded the numbers from last year and so did I in tips. Not bad in a worsening economy. I am so thankful to have a job I like and do well in. Waiting tables is not something that I had on my radar in college but I like it better than all the other jobs I have ever had. I don't have to worry about students passing or failing. Nor do I worry about making my quota for the month. I get to stay home with my kids during the day educating them and work a few nights a week and help provide food and other necessities for them. So, pain aside, I am well pleased with all that we accomplished this weekend!
Apple Festival also brings with it the hope of fall. Football has started. There is a noticeable chill in the morning mountain air. The leaves on the trees are just starting to look a little droopy. Where I live, there are trees that are literally dripping with apples. Red ones, green ones, yellow ones, sweet ones, crisp ones, sour ones. This is also another sign of fall for me. I love driving around and seeing the fruit of a year's hard labor ripe for the harvest. Even though the heat is still here during the day, I can bear it knowing that long sleeves and hoodies are just around the corner.
So as I say good bye to the festival, the sore muscles and feet, and the crazy amounts of people, I shout HELLO to pumpkins, cool weather, football, and my favorite season: autumn. You are most welcome!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...