Monday, March 22, 2010

Easy Recipe #4

I started making my own laundry detergent in mid-November. It is not that big of a hassle and I love the money it has saved us(approx $15 so far). I got the recipe from my friend Kim and have been addicted since. Hope it helps you out. You'll need to buy Borax(I get it at WalMart b/c you get a much better deal there). Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and bar soap. Ideas for soap are Fels-Naptha, Ivory, Dove, or Jergens(white).

Start by grating the soap(about 2 cups). Add it to a tin or container with a lid. I use a Christmas cookie container that someone gave me. Add 1 cup Borax and 1 cup Arm & Hammer. I close the container and shake vigorously. I use 2 tbsp of the mixture for large loads and 1 for small loads. I still add bleach when necessary. My clothes are cleaner and the products are safer for the environment. I don't use quite as much as I do would with conventional laundry detergents.

I posted this at the request of my friend, Cheryl. There are ideas out there about making liquid powder but this works for me and is less work.
Speaking of laundry, I need to do about 4 loads. Enjoy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...