Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pet Peeves of a Waitress

I wait tables and when you are assisting others in one of the more intimate times in their day, you see some things that are disturbing. First off, so many people won't even look at me when I come to the table. I am friendly so I say "hi, I am Sarita and I'll be taking care of you this evening. Can I get you something to drink?" Without even looking up at me, they grunt out a reply, "Tea". Ok. I get the drink and return. Then, thinking that they'll speak to me this time, I ask if they are ready to order or have any questions. Another grunt of an answer. Finally, I just give up and have very little interaction at all. If you are a grumpy Gus, why in the world would you go to a restaurant?
Another thing: who lets their children run all over the restaurant. My mother would not have tolerated this kind of behavior from us and I won't from my own kids. Some kids are allowed to go all over the place. Sometimes, they approach other tables, interrupting the meals of the people at that table. Why can't they just stay in their seats unless they must go to the restroom? I don't know. I don't take my kids out to eat. I just don't want to deal with the stress.
Another thing. We work for tips. If you don't want to tip, go to McDonald's or Burger King. We make $2.43 per hour. I don't automatically add gratuity to your ticket unless you are a large party. I know that in Florida, the restaurants do that. Well, you are not in Florida or any other state. The kind of tip you leave tells me what kind of server I have been. 15% is adequate service and 20%+ is excellent. I have actually heard this, "you are the best server we have ever had." When I get the tip, it is less than 15%. Your gratitude and compliment will not feed my kids. I live by the saying that actions speak louder than words so you must have not meant what you said. Most of you now that I am a Christian. I have no problem with people leaving tracts with their tips. I often write God bless you on the bill. But, please for the love of all that is holy, leave a decent tip. An unsaved server will not appreciate the Gospel when you are less than generous. Trust me! They come back and thrust them in my face and say is that what being a Christian is all about? No it is not! This sets me back with them!
I love waiting tables. I have been a school teacher and a sales rep for a fortune 500 company. I enjoy the job more than any other that I have had. I am able to do this so I can be a stay at home mom and home school my kids. But these are just observations not condemnations. No offense meant just education! Bon apetit!(I was a Spanish major)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...