Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fear

All you see on the news these days is how the economy is tanking & people who are brutally murdering each other and how the government is going to take over. Fear sells ad space and newspapers. It is probably only 2nd to sex selling stuff. If people can be made afraid, then they can be held captive to their fears. Look at someone who has a phobia, they are often held prisoner in their homes or in their minds to that fear. So, how do we combat this? Some say we have to face our fears and some say that we have to go through a program of counseling and sometimes drugs to beat it. I know that the treatments are different for everyone. However, there is one thing that can be the same for all people and all fears. God! God with a capital G. He is the only overcomer of fear.
The most common command in the Bible is do not fear or do not let yourself be troubled or do not be afraid or fear not. Why do you think that is? I propose that God knew that we would be most susceptible to fear. Our feeble hearts, often, cannot handle it. People have been trying to be god from the time Eve took the first bite. Being god is a job that we weren't meant to have. We cannot control everything and thus we are afraid. For most people, not being in control of their lives, their childrens' lives, their spouses, and, sometimes, even their own brains drives them crazy! Not having control causes fear. I am afraid of heights. Why? Because I wouldn't be able to control the fall or the outcome of the fall. I know someone who is agoraphobic(afraid of open spaces). Why? Because she cannot control what happens when she leaves her house. So many people fear death b/c they don't exactly know what happens when they close their eyes for the last time. Do we go into a dark hole and there is nothing or are there actually heaven and hell? What if I spent my whole life trying to be in control of everything when now I realize that I am not? Fear of a straying spouse or of our children dying can consume us until we cannot get any peace even in our dreams.
So, what do we do? What do you know? Is that what you are saying? Well, I have come as close to death as anyone wants to come without actually going into the light. I lived for 127 days with no control over my own body, my house, and the care of my children. I paid a heavy price for my need to control due to my fears. This is what I suggest for you: if you have a favorite verse about fear, keep it by your bedside, in your purse, on your mirrors, in your cars, in your wallet, wherever. If you don't know any, I'll give you some.
Exodus 14:13 Do not be afraid. Stand firm & you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.
Exodus 20:20 Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.
Psalm 56:4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?(Ps 56:11, Ps 118:6)
Isaiah 12:2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."
Hebrews 13:6 So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
Rev 1:17 Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.(quote from Jesus)
The entire chapter of Psalm 91 covers almost every fear!
So, my friends, let not your hearts be troubled!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...