Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sick people, Drug Dealers?

So, after spending a lot of money at the doctor, I found out what I already knew, I have a double ear infection. One of which is so bad that it is bulging badly. The doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotic, a sample of Flonase, and instructions for taking Sudafed. Off I go to Walmart, hoping to take advantage of their $4 generic prescription program(evil, giant corporation who only cares about the bottom line). I turn in the script and wait. After standing or should I say, swaying, in line for 20 minutes, I get up to the counter. I tell the cashier that I need some Sudafed and not the PE stuff but the good stuff, you know, the one they keep behind the counter. She looks at me for a moment and turns around to get it. She, then, asks me, "blue or red?" Ummmm...red? That must have been the wrong answer because she began to scrutinize me more closely. She brings the required Sudafed and then I changed my mind and asked for the Equate version which is $6 cheaper. Even drug dealers need to save a buck after all in this economy. She gets the stuff I need and begins to question me and asks for my license. I hand it to her needing some relief from the pulsing in my ears. She looks at it and then at me. I smile trying to assuage her obvious suspicions. She points at the credit card machine and tells me to read and sign. I'll be honest, I didn't read all of it. Something about limiting the number of Sudafed type meds that I can get in a certain amount of time. I am sure there was something in there about the safety of my meth lab and keeping it out of the reach of children. I accept the terms and pay for my items. I wanted to ask the people behind the counter if they could put 2 & 2 together. Amoxicillan, Flonase, Sudafed.....obviously, I wasn't off to concoct the latest version of a street drug. Do I look like a drug dealer or user? Sometimes with 4 kids, I feel like I need drugs but I don't take anything stronger than Advil.
This experience brought to mind another time I went to a local grocery store to buy formula. In the baby aisle, there was no powder formula. I went to ask someone what the deal was and the manager told me that all formula was kept behind the customer service desk. Hmmm....next to the cigarettes. I wasn't even able to go back to comparison shop or anything. Combine the diapers, baby food, and formula and you can come up with a logical conclusion, I think. Of course, common sense is dead in most parts of the world. I guess that there is some person that would buy all that extra stuff just to be able to get the OTC drugs to break down and make into a totally new drug. If they are that smart, then they should have majored in chemistry. For those of you who don't get my sense of humor, as it were, I am not a potential drug dealer nor do I have a meth lab in my nursery at home. However, I suspect that I am now on some kind of watch list......
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...