Monday, December 15, 2014

I Did Not Marry the Man of My Dreams

Do you have a type?  I did! 
I will start out by saying that I had a very confused childhood. There were many different father figures in my life and I was determined to marry someone very different from all of them.  I pictured in my head the "dream" guy!  He had to be at least 6 feet tall with blond hair and blue eyes.  He had to be a successful business man and moderately athletic.  He had to be someone who would whisk me all over the world and take me to musicals and plays and not ignore me for sports.  He had to have a fancy car and be willing to rub my feet after a long day!
Sounds dreamy, doesn't it?  When I began to date, I looked for guys who fit this mold.  Height was of utmost importance.  I wouldn't date a short guy!  I am 5'8" tall and that was a must!  While pursuing this fantasy list, I dated every manner of loser.  There were a few nice guys in there but mostly losers.  I am just being honest!  Maybe my loser was someone else's winner.  I hope that is the case.
When my friend asked me to be in her wedding, I asked her if there were any cute guys as groomsmen.  She told me that she didn't think there was anyone to whom I would be attracted.  The night of the rehearsal came and I looked across the aisle at the fellas.  I saw this young man and thought, "That is the man I am going to marry."  WHOA!!!!   STOP right there!!!!  This guy was short(well average) but short by my standards.  He was just an inch taller than I.  He had dark brown hair and brown eyes.  Other than his appearance, I didn't know anything about him.  Later that evening, we began to talk and guess what?  He was kind of a geek.  I mean, he played video games and board games and could talk computers and such.  EEWWW!  But, he made me laugh!  The next day the pull that I felt for him grew stronger.  At the reception, I caught the bouquet and he caught the garter.  After the reception, we went out and played trivia.  Oh my word!  He was smart and could compete with me(I have a nasty competitive streak).  And, he made me laugh!  We sat out on the dock under the Savannah night sky and told each other every thing!  He even told me that he was in love with me!  I couldn't believe it!  I was feeling the same way!  (To hear him tell it, I said it 1st but that is just not true!) Did I mention that he made me laugh?  We left the wedding knowing we would see each other again as we only lived 20 minutes away from one another.
That began our whirlwind romance!  As I got to know him, I realized that he fit very few criteria on my list! He wasn't a high powered businessman.  He doesn't like musicals or plays.  He loves sports but instead of ignoring me, he took the time to teach me about football.  I am a UNC Tarheel fan so basketball, yes.  Football, no! He is a computer geek and loves to play board games and I found out that I do, too!
The important thing is that he has qualities that weren't on my list.  He is sweet, compassionate, loving, kind, honest, a great cook, an even better listener, and the yen to my yang.  He is patient and generous and he comes from an amazing family.  And after 15 years of marriage, he still makes me laugh!
I am thankful that God didn't give me the man of my dreams.  If He had, I would have missed out on what God dreamed up for me! 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...