Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Swimsuit Issue


Have you gone swimsuit shopping lately? What a nightmare! I took my 5 YO who is tall for her age and she needed to go into the little girls' section. No more cute toddler suits for her. Nooooo, she had to go into what I call prostitot wear. That is not a word that I made up but I stole from Glenn Beck. I stood there and cried because they actually had bikinis that had strings on the hips and triangles on the chest. For a 5-10 YO? What!!!! I don't even want my 20 YO dressing like that. Finding a modest suit was all but impossible but I managed after shedding a few tears.
Shopping for myself is another story. First off, do you remember shopping in your teen and 20 years? Your body looked so different back then. Even though I hated my body then, I would sacrifice a lot to have it back. Maybe I'd sacrifice Ben & Jerry, I don't know. Something happens when you have a baby. Your belly button never goes back to its original position. Mine is higher so that even mom jeans are low cut. That lower ab muscle is perpetually bulging. And that is after 1 child, I have had 4! And I haven't even begun to discuss stretch marks! I haven't had enough coffee for that! So as I start looking at the modern day torture contraptions, I think, " I can go into the water with a T-shirt and capris on, right?" Who invented bathing suits? The same person who invented panty hose? Those are awful items of clothing as well. He must have hated his mom. As I survey the florals and stripes, the skirts and one pieces, I begin to wish for bathing suits of the early 20th century.(see pic) Trying them on is another pain that I don't relish. Stacy and Clinton haven't prepared me for the sight that I see in the mirror. Have you ever seen sausage links where the casings are narrow between the links? That is what I feel I look like. Trying to squeeze too much sausage into too little a casing. Finally, I find one that won't be an embarrassment to myself and my husband and is modest without being prudish(not an easy feat in the age of Victoria's Not so Secret). I head off to check out with a determination not to be intimidated by the smirks of my teenage check out girl or guy and with a new resolve to diet and exercise. I get home a realize that even though I had a horrible experience, each stretch mark, C-section scar, and bigger bulge on the abdomen was brought about by the birth of my precious babies. They are battle scars and while I may lose the battle the war has already been won. When I get to Heaven, there will be no more cellulite, fat, or misplaced belly buttons. I would like to think that our new bodies look great in a bathing suit. Psalm 45:11 says, "The king in enthralled with your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." Proverbs 31:30 says, "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...